Saturday, October 1, 2011

I'm in the garden

I had a tiny bit of success with some roses last year and I've let it go to my head!  Jbird gave me a pot of six miniature rose plants for Valentines day, they looked gorgeous but they were dieing within the week.  They'd been grown in a Canadian hot house, under perfect temperature and moisture conditions to move to our drafty (moisture deficient) flat with faint winter sunshine and the shock was too much for them.  So I separated them all out and spent a few moments every day pruning away anything dead and watering them (probably over-watering) and they flourished, providing me flowers for the next 5 month.  I gave them away (and I miss them!) but they've given me the courage to keep trying. I don't know much but we bought a couple books at yard sales about gardening in this area and I'm excited that we have at least three years in the same place with a little, tiny bit of land.  Let's see what we can do!

2 comments:

  1. It's not quite good enough for photos this season. We came back to late to do a good fall planting. It'll be far nicer in the spring, I think!

    ReplyDelete