Monday, October 17, 2011

I'm taking my time


I’ve got this idea that I’ve been thinking about for a couple weeks and I really like it.  It came from all the reading I’ve been doing for a paper on issues in mathematics education, as well as a blog post I read from some smart mum living in Thailand.  I’m quite sorry it’s taken me so long to grasp this as it would’ve helped my teaching a lot, I think, as well as other things about other parts of my life. I was going to expand on it but I’ve decided to just state the idea and I’m sure it’ll come up again.  I'm ready to stop bowling on ahead. 

The idea is this: I should let myself get bored so that I can be creative. 

2 comments:

  1. We heard a really good discussion on National radio about Steve Jobs after he died (inventor of apple products)The question was "Why can't China have a Steve Jobs"
    What is it about an education system that allows a Steve Jobs to come along (a guy who dropped out of university!)
    The analogy that came up was perfect, it was -
    Apple is the fruit on a tree and its branches are its freedom to think and create, and its root is constitutional democracy, and its trunk is a society whose legal system acknowledges the value of intellectual property.
    This is why China with its present ideology will never produce creative people only copiers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your new idea. There is also something to be said for allowing yourself to think in silence without all the distractions of everyday life...

    ReplyDelete