Monday, March 26, 2012

Taking a step back

I closed my facebook account the other day.  I'm not really sure why as I don't hold any malice against it, I was just feeling a bit...uninspired by it.  I don't create anything through it, I no longer play any of the games, have whittled down the friends whose posts appear on my feed to a pretty small handful, and it sometimes makes me feel less connected to people than I want it to.   

When I clicked on the 'deactivate' button, I was informed of a few people that would miss me while I was gone.  My niece was listed in the top five.  She's five.  She doesn't even know she has a facebook account.  Did you notice I was gone?  Because I've been away a few days now and I don't think you did.  I think, and this is just a theory mind, maybe quite an obvious one, that it's merely an addiction.  Click click click, I've observed, commented, and visited, and perhaps written something that I want to sound clever.  How many times an hour would I check it, to see if anything had changed?  It's mind numbing to think about.  I'm going old school, reading the paper.  And well-written blogs.  And talking to people. 

I may return. It depends how bored I get, whether I can keep myself occupied.

As a very brief tangent, but something I feel you ought to know, I just saw The Iron Lady so I'm typing this in a posh British accent.  Can you tell?

7 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHA the posh British accent comment!! I keep wanting to deactivate but there are so many PICTURES i want to see on there, my bf (HA), ice cream... etc.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the pictures were what kept me on for so long. But it's not worth it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the enlightened side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though of course I did used to use your account to sneak on every so often and look at pictures... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We thought you'd closed your facebook account ages ago when you started your blog, so that's why we haven't even looked at it. The only time we use facebook is to catch up on photos. Unfortunately we don't have time to reciprocate by putting any on ours, so the only ones on our page are the ones others post on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, just closed it now. We put up some photos recently but I guess you won't be able to see those. I'll send out an email. xx

    ReplyDelete