Thursday, March 8, 2012

Oat Pancakes - you'll never go back

I once told you about my new go-to fluffy pancake recipe.  They didn't become my go-to, I didn't even remember to make them again <sigh>.  It may be because I came across this delicious recipe for buttermilk-oat pancakes which makes a similarly, possibly more so, fabulous oh-so-soft-fluffy pancake, with the added benefits of a whole grain.  

I never have buttermilk, but it can be made by adding two teaspoons of vinegar to the milk and leaving it to sit for a bit. It's impossible to tell from the finished product that these pancakes have oats even though I only leave the oats to sit in the 'buttermilk' for 5 minutes before adding everything else.    Some recipes suggest sitting over night but I don't see the need.  Next time I'm going to substitute in 1/4 cup of wheat flour for 1/4 cup of white flour.  

New Zealanders, you will need a little more flour (probably only a 1/4 of a cup). This recipe is an Australian equivalent - and should have all the correct flour quantities - with the addition of yummy blueberries.  Chocolate chips would be quite a delicious substitution and after all that whole grain goodness, very allowable.  The Australian recipe doesn't suggest any baking soda but I do - just 1/2 teaspoon (don't forget to sieve). 

Our go-to topping today was greek yoghurt mixed with a fresh mixed berry coulis.

No comments:

Post a Comment