Thursday, March 15, 2012

Coffee and other less connected things

You'll be pleased to know that I have managed to keep to my reduced amount of caffeine intake.  There's been an obvious change in my sleeping habits too.  I sleep through the night, deeply.  When I wake up it's because it's time to get up.  It's been pretty nice.  I don't notice in the taste that it's mostly decaf either.  Maybe because I now have a grinder, improving the coffee flavour. 

I'm also trying to lower my sugar intake.  Unfortunately, I am addicted to white flour, but I'm trying to only have it every second day.  I can't imagine what croissants or cinnamon buns would taste like with whole wheat flour and they're a staple in my bread making habit.  I will try to remember to add whole wheat to my bagels next time I make them.  You may ask what that has to do with sugar?  Well, we digest white flour exactly the same way we digest sugar.  Or so I've heard.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?   I have a feeling that milk might be in a similar category.  Is anything actually good for us?  

While I'm meandering through things I don't really know anything about, I may as well share that I learned recently that we get ten times more carotene from cooked or mushed carrots than raw and apparently cooked tomatoes are better for us than uncooked.  Interesting stuff.  I was sure raw was always the way to go - which rarely reflects my own diet at this time of year. 

2 comments: