Sunday, March 18, 2012

The evenings may be longer...

We had a weird time warp on our recent trip to Nashville, TN.  The two days before we left, I had been struggling to adjust my body clock after 'skipping ahead' an hour for daylight savings.  It's only a five hour drive to Nashville, basically directly south.  On our way there, while Jbird was getting petrol, I put the clock forward in the car - I'd been looking at the wrong time for two days and decided that I may as well change it to the new, day light savings time.  Later that day, we were in a museum, in Nashville.  I checked the time on my phone and it was an hour earlier than I had expected.  Feeling confused, I asked someone the time and they confirmed my phone was correct.  We got back in the car and sure enough, the car time was wrong - or different to our phones.  I simply decided I'd pressed the button too many times, putting the time two hours ahead instead of just one.  We didn't really think about it again but both seemed prone to feeling extremely tired at night and waking up too early.  I put this down to too much fun.  We travelled home to Bloomington, late at night.  The trip felt long as it was night time and we were struggling to stay awake, stopping in at rest stops to sleep for an hour and continuing on.  Our eyes were on the clock the whole time - when would we get home?  We finally arrived at 2:40 am, only to find that it was 3:40 am here in Bloomington.  Even though we drove east (and then south) to get to Nashville, they were on CMT (central time) while Bloomington is on EMT (eastern time).  With that and day lights savings, we've had to readjust three times in less than a week.  

It's only one hour difference but it seems to affect me so much.  This would never happen in New Zealand, where everybody lives on the same time zone, which may be why we didn't notice until we got back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment