Monday, March 5, 2012

We're having a Soiree

One of our major fundraising events at home are a series of house concerts at my parent's house.  Mum and I have gotten quite good at organising these, we try to have fun while we do it.  I make fliers which we use to shamelessly invite everyone we know AND drop around the immediate neighbourhood.  We have a regular menu which we like to play around with each time, adding new items, taking others away.  I normally bake some bread and mum makes some dukkah to dip it in.  I'm in charge of tart bases with lemon curd filling and/or something savory.  She has a great recipe for miniature cheese balls.  She makes fairy cakes, and one of us fills them with full cream.  Together we put together sweet platters and savory platters, organise tea, coffee, and juice.  Rearrange furniture and clean clean clean.  Low and behold, three house concerts are on the cards.

It was nice to have Mum's help at his last recital too.  At Peabody it was common practice to offer a small reception afterwards.  Then Dad took us all out for dinner and we all had mussels and ribs, it was a memorable meal. The mussels were miniscule, the ribs ginormous. 
 
Jbird's IU solo recital is coming up on the ninth of this month and as part of his last moment preparation, we put on a house concert here.  It was a small affair, but very manageable for my catering skills. It's not as much fun though, without my co-caterer, and our Auckland friends. 

He sounded great, I was really impressed by his level of comfort for the repertoire he will perform.  He is definitely ready for the big one!  Are you as excited as I?  I wish you could be there.

2 comments:

  1. I love your house concerts, and that whole world of music you invited me into.

    ReplyDelete