Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Modern Convenience

I was gifted a late birthday present last week.  It's an electric kettle.  What a lovely thing to own!  We've had a stove top kettle since we moved here because they are so much cheaper to buy.  The first one we owned developed a leak.  Lovely Ms. Strong gave us a hand me down one to replace it.  This one was more sturdy and whistled when it boiled.  Jbird hated the high pitched whistle, and I grew to dislike it too.  He would stop it as fast as he could, even stopping mid sentence to turn it off.  I adopted the habit by osmosis.  I still preferred a whistle to no whistle as I would often boil the old non-whistler dry.  This may be why it started to leak. 

The new one is gorgeous.  It's black, it has an 'on' light, it's lighter, it turns itself off when it has boiled, it seems to hold more water, it shows us how much water it is holding, and it has lovely rubber grips where it is picked up. How I love to pick it up.  

How bizarre to take an electric kettle for granted all my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment