Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Disqus? for better or for worse

Quite a few people have told me this space is sometimes resistant to letting them comment.  They try signing in with a google username and are denied.  Then they try to comment anonymously and it still doesn't work.  So they give up.  
I tried to get to the bottom of this.  Searching on blogger help, I found out it's  a common problem with blogspot. Why hasn't someone fixed it!?  I was referred to something called Disqus for all my commenting needs.  I didn't know what this was - would I be moving away from blogger?  Would my blog be somehow...different?  Worst of all...would I be allowing a virus into the folds of my computer?  That's the ever present fear of any un-tech savvy gal such as myself.  I decided that the best case scenario was that the program...or software...whatever it is, might help people who are frightened to comment, <clears throat no naming of names>, find it easier and jump right in there.

Blindly, I hit the download and install now buttons requested and something happened, I wasn't exactly sure what.  Things looked great.  There was a new feature to like or dislike the different posts, I was excited for that.  Excited to see who might be the first to dislike me.  But somehow, nothing quite worked properly. Worst of all, the program recognised me as Jbird when I tried to reply to comments.  I don't have the patience to really get in there and fix it.

Now it's been uninstalled/removed, hopefully to never cross my path again.  Come on blogspot, fix your commenting problem, it's your job.

Please read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Diaries for an excellent philosophical outline conveying why we really shouldn't try just to give up like I did, why we should get to the bottom of such annoyances in life.  It's also an alluring story about a long motorcycle road trip, and one of those books which I always find reasons to recommend.

2 comments:

  1. I just pulled that off my book shelf to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha, I was really confused...you are reading Disqus? Then I remembered the book recommendation at the bottom there. Enjoy! It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete