Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Teachers that stretch

I read this quote by Piaget (1980) today: 

Education, for most people, means trying to lead the child to resemble the typical adult of his [sic] society (but)...for me education means making creators, even if there aren't many of them, even if one's creations are limited by comparison with those of others.

It was the opening quote within a chapter of my textbook discussing aesthetic education through the arts.  The chapter had a bunch of really intense ideas which I'll need to read over to consolidate them to my brain but it has made me think a few things.  My favourite thought is: True creativity (and indeed, aesthetics) is hard to teach.  It requires teachers to have high self-efficacy, to be risk takers, to have a willingness to explore borderlines of the status quo etc. etc. 

Thanks, Piaget, I feel ready for bigger and better things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment