Sunday, March 25, 2012

A floating garden

There was a tornado warning in Bloomington.  I spent an hour listening to the details on the radio, I was fascinated by it.  The first half hour everything was really still, annoyingly still, with dark clouds looming.  Because of this and despite the sirens blaring, Jbird biked off to a rehearsal - I couldn't convince him not to.  Then it poured and hailed for half an hour.  I eventually had to turn the radio off and force myself to do something else to distract me from the storm because my garden was flooding, the plants splattered with sizable chunks of ice and it was beginning to make me feel anxious.  

How do you gardeners do it?  Our weather has been perfect gardening weather for two weeks.  Summery warm, with little patches of rain. I planted a rose, a lavender, a mint plant, and any number of seeds this week, and all I could do during the storm was watch as the elements had their say.   The mulch I covered everything in might protect the seeds from frost and snow but excessive amounts of water?  They've surely all floated away.  I felt sad.

I heard on the radio that farmers here in Indiana are considering starting their corn crop early this year because of this strange early summer.  If the weather holds, they could make a lot of money on an early crop.  The problem is, they can't get insurance if they plant too early.  It's a conundrum I'm glad I don't have to face.  I guess these emotions are all part of the growing process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment