Monday, September 3, 2012

Stuffing peppers

The produce from our garden is at its best right now.  In the last few days we harvested a pound of lovely juicy green beans, the usual 10 or so tomatoes, and 10 bell boy peppers which are suddenly plentiful and growing larger than they have been.  Bell boy peppers are like miniature capsicum peppers.  I'm not particularly fond of eating them raw, and they seem to disappear into most things I cook them in.  Because we had so many this week, I realised I could make stuffed peppers, and I finally found a dish they could really shine in.  They're so cute, too.  I lopped off their spout, scooped out their seeds and they were a perfect little cup to stuff.  I cooked up some rice risotto, adding feta cheese and fresh herbs as an after thought, stuffed eight little peppers, placing a slice of tomato on top of each, and baked them until I could see the peppers were starting to brown in splotches.  They hold together better than half a capsicum and make a filling meal.  It's lovely having home grown produce to eat and enjoy every day.  It's a great time of the year.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Too bad my hubby isn't really into peppers. Not sure I could convince the kids either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is there not to like!? Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds AMAZING. I need pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are all eaten and you know I don't post photos!

    ReplyDelete