Thursday, September 27, 2012

Crepes for brekkie

Jbird made me crepes for brekkie this morning.  I would say that is one of my very favourite ways to wake.  It could probably only be topped by the sound of waves hitting a stony beach outside my window.  We've been using Julia child's recipe.  It's not much different from the recipe I grew up with but it uses an extra egg, a little less milk (she uses water as well), and some melted butter.  Of course there's butter, this is Mrs. Child we're talking about.  I think the extra egg makes all the difference because you can still get them paper thin but they have a bit more substance to them.  Our favourite toppings at the moment are lemon and sugar, and nutella.  I've been trying to substitute sugar for honey but it doesn't quite taste right on crepes.  

Her recipe (makes 8 crepes):
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons melted butter (I only use 1 at the most)
1 cup sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

I tend to mix the wet ingredients, then add the dry and mix again.  Leave to rest for up to an hour.  Add more water or milk to the desired consistency.  After pouring into frying pan, I use a spatula to help spread them really thinly.  I only learnt this tip very recently even though these are the first things I ever made alone in the kitchen.  In those days, there was butter everywhere and they were fried crepes.  I thought butter was the only way to keep them from sticking to the pan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment