Monday, September 17, 2012

Small irritant

We live in close proximity to a lot of people in this apartment complex.  It's convenient, cheap, and we have more space than we've ever had, but sometimes we can't help noticing those people.  Our new upstairs neighbours seem to be very noisy.  Their every footstep reverberates as a stomp through our ceiling.  Most nights at midnight, somebody is walking around in circles above our heads, and then it's 6am and they're at it again.  That gives me 6 hours of sleep and I'm an eight hour girl!  The other night, the toilet had been left running and the water sounded like a waterfall above my head.  I have a plan to switch our bedrooms when I finish this degree - I'm sure the spare bedroom doesn't pick up as many of the sounds - but for now, we've just got to put up with it.  We're both too busy to orchestrate a bedroom move right now.  Jbird thinks we should contact management and let them know, but I don't think there's anything they could do about it.  Isn't it one of the joys of apartment living?  So today I built up some courage and went upstairs to very nicely let them know how loud it is for us.  I was surprised to find only two live there.  I thought there must be at least three or four.  They have promised that late at night they'll try their hardest not to move around too much and I promised I understood their need to move around.  Here's hoping for a slightly quieter sleep tonight.

4 comments:

  1. Can you believe we hear more of our neighbors now that we live in a house compared to our old apartment? Thankfully we don't have too many complaints about our new neighbors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so strange - I would think living in a house would be the ideal solution! I guess we have to choose to ignore some things too. So far, our neighbours have been a lot quieter since I talked to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The houses here are really close together, so that is the biggest thing. In an apartment all the inner walls are super thick and basically sound proof. Cement is nice that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. right, I am in the mind set of the midwest where there is a lot of grass everywhere, especially between houses.

    ReplyDelete