Sunday, September 30, 2012

Work FUN Love PLAY

I have had those four words written on our white board for a few months now, so long I've stopped reading them so it's probably time to rub them off.  I wrote them up after reading something about how the teachers' role is to help those 'difficult' students experience a balance of work, fun, love, and play.  I read it close to an essay deadline that I had and I realised: I'm working and I'm trying to love but I'm not really experiencing fun or play.  I decided I needed to change some things in my life and wrote those words up on our whiteboard to remind me.  

It's been feeling a bit like that again recently.  I have three deadlines looming.  Kind of.  If the end of October is 'looming'.  I've taken to sitting at home at my computer, ignoring invites out, and trying to live with my head in my books.  In the weekends, I plan for 'spare time' to be work time.  I haven't even got any (fictional) library books out.  I've also realised that I have been taking my breaks at the computer - reading online newspapers, watching online T.V. shows, or playing an online game - which means that I find it hard to focus on my work on the computer for any length of time.   Poor Jbird, I'm a dull kind of person to live with at the moment, especially because this is a beautiful time of year to be outside.  We are having some great weather and the leaves are starting to look gorgeous again.

This weekend I got out and enjoyed the full glory of friends and the outdoors.  My contingency plan is to try and go outside every day for at least 30 minutes.  It doesn't sound like much but it will be 29 minutes longer than my lunch breaks have been on our garden stoop recently.  Maybe that will help me get through October. 

No comments:

Post a Comment