Thursday, July 26, 2012

Crazy internet usage

I have previously briefly described my journey surrounding closing my facebook account.  This week I read an interesting article about internet addiction.  I'm not sure how hyperbolic the author is but, offering several citations to back his thesis, he points at all of us as addicts.  Are you an addict?  Do you use the internet 35+ hours a week?  I use the computer that much at least, and the internet comes hand in hand with computer use these days.  The author talks about the dopamine* we get each time we interact.  He describes the changes in our brains the more we use it, which are supposedly looking more like drug and alcohol addicts' brains. 

My friend and I were discussing how it can be hard to even watch a whole movie without checking facebook or our email account during lulls in the story lines.  Since I closed my fb account, I've been trying to do one thing at a time and I think I've been semi-successful.  My addiction to the internet hasn't exactly gone away though, I don't think.  It might depend on how tired I am.  Today I'm really tired, and it's easy to surf, hard to get onto some real work.

I'm planning to limit more than just facebook from now on.  I'm not sure how to do this, though, as I work on the computer most of the day.  I might turn off the internet on my computer while I'm working, giving myself particular hours of the days when I have it on.  At the very least, I want to become more focussed in my use, less likely to dawdle through favourite spots.  Best intentions, anyway.

*a natural drug which gives us happy feelings

4 comments:

  1. This is a really good point. I'm sure I qualify as an addict.. but I work at a computer all day, and have free time at work... so I'm not sure what to do about it. HAHA! :) I do try to limit my internet usage at home and on the weekends, I guess that's a start...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you easily qualify, along with me. But I think nights and weekends is the key. I'll be doing something else. I hope. Except now the olympics are on, I will be looking for live internet feeds and highlight shows...my resolve does not stand strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't use the computer much, E is all over it anytime it's out so that limits it to sleep time and night time. But I also have one day a week where I use no techniology - no tv, no computer, no washing machine (though I do use the car and the oven so I guess I'm selective!) Maybe you could give that discipline a try - even start with maybe just a half day??

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I think I'd like to try that, even while I'm studying. Now I just need to not be too overwhelmed by trying to choose the day.

    ReplyDelete