Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Making the most of surface area

I finished another literature review today, with just a search for 65 unnecessary words remaining, and I celebrated with a pleasant hour in our garden.  After the usual watering, weeding, and pest control - netting, mole spray, and picking off fungi-ridden leaves - I could finally create my succulent garden.  

Do you remember my plan to bring a bunch of succulents here from New Zealand?  I was sure if they would get through customs so I didn't end up risking it.  Since then, I have been on the hunt and will nab some babies or break off a branch any time I see one at a friend's place.  That makes it sound more prolific than it is, I only have four different types, including one aloe vera.  I have noticed they grow beautifully if they are watered every time their soil is dry and they have a nice sunny spot.  I've also decided soil quality is not such an issue and have seen them growing in only two centimetres (one inch) of soil, with no drainage.  So I put some soil in the ceramic saucer that would normally catch water beneath a pot plant.  I've arranged them like a tiny miniature dessert scene scape and they should look quite nice on our coffee table.  I didn't want a high pot taking up a lot of room.  I'm pretty happy with my effort, though I may look out for a nicer looking shallow container.  I've already saved $40 by making this one myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment