Sunday, July 22, 2012

Living, breathing green

Our garden is an alive mass of green.  It's hard to tell where one plant ends and another begins.  Long gone are the days when I carefully step around seedlings.  The courgette remains the largest contender for space but the melons - water and cantaloupe - are starting to compete, with tiny little fruit showing up on tendrils.  I'm still determined to have something to show for our efforts and have starting netting individual vegetables and fruit, hoping to deter a clumsy bunny, though I'd rather not entangle them.

Our thin bamboo stakes are no longer strong enough so I had Jbird fashion some stronger ones out of timber from an old crate.  There is so much fruit on each tomato tree, they had all fallen on top of one another and were beginning to spread over the footpath.  Every time I go outside, I stake another tomato branch and have begun to discover some really big guys waiting to ripen.  I heard it takes 65 days from flower to red tomato.  It feels so long to wait and to protect from visiting wildlife.  The canning is going to be out of control when those days come.

No comments:

Post a Comment