Sunday, July 8, 2012

Our first out of town visitor

Did you ever hear of someone you thought you should meet but the opportunity never happened?  While living in Bangladesh, there were a few New Zealanders around, many of them lived on my side of town.  There was one family, however, who lived over in Old Dhaka*, whom I somehow never met.  People would visit "the Kiwis in Old Dhaka" after church, or talk about seeing them at a conference.  

It turns out the world is small and when their eldest daughter moved to Baltimore a few years later to start her PhD at Johns Hopkins Uni, some complicated events took place, and we finally met.  Now, she is one of only a few Kiwi friends on this expansive continent and we were very happy to hear she would be popping by for a quick visit during her summer vacation.  

Quick it was: two nights and a day.  In that short time I easily managed to use up my quota of words for the next month at least.  I was worried the heat would ruin the visit but we made do, taking a pre-heat, early morning tour of Bloomington by bike.  It gave us an excuse to try out three new popsicle recipes.  We swam a lot too, even convincing Jbird to go night swimming with us which is an unheard of treat.  She managed to win four games of Carcassone.

America(ns), you're great and I love getting to know you, but I also enjoy having the occasional Kiwi to debrief slight cultural oddities with, our own included. 

*this wiki description fails to depict the crazy hustle and bustle of that ancient city.

4 comments:

  1. Now I'm curious about who it is and if I know that family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I never thought of that! Kirsten Meyer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, totally know the Meyers! It really is a small world sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete