Monday, October 10, 2011

Tree Spotting

I love sitting out in our garden, surrounded by our pot plants and the few plants I’ve managed to grow, contemplating what they need from me next.  Today I had to perform surgery on a pot which housed my dinosaur plant (a cycad), two succulents, and a mysterious sprout we noticed last night.  I bought the cycad recently because it’s native to NZ and I hope to grow it into a magnificent house tree.  Upon digging down, I discovered that the sprout had a huge root!

A similar thing happened to my Meyer lemon tree when I let a little wee sprout live in it's pot for a month as a tiny little being.  Spring warmed up and the thing grew into a capsicum tree.  This tree overshadowed any possibility of performance from my poor lemon tree which nearly died.  It lost all but three of its’ already miniscule leaves.  I couldn’t really do anything to help them until we moved properly to Indiana after our visit home so that lemon tree has lost nearly a year of growth!  I've separated them out and it’s looking good now though, with 12 quite big leaves and a few more on the way.  I’m glad it’s healthy looking before the long months of near dormancy during winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment