Sunday, October 30, 2011

Living on a shoestring

Since moving to the States, Jbird and I have been living on not-very-much.  One of the ways I make this work in our weekly budget is by measuring/weighing ingredients.  For example, a box of pasta suggests 56g/2oz per serving.  This does not seem like much when weighed but it’s plenty, especially if you have a thick sauce full of yummies.  We always have leftovers too so the box stretches to at least 12 meals.  I don’t buy the cheapest laundry detergent because it makes my skin disintegrate but I’m sure to only use up to the 1 on the measuring cup, even on a full load.

I want to assure you we also have margins in our weekly budget, or we’d probably explode.  I drink real coffee (every day, more than once a day).    I always get chocolate chips and our desserts are prolific.  Fruit and veges are a priority – but it’s also my priority to use what we buy. Every now and then we buy cream or bacon.  We just don’t use a whole packet of bacon in one sitting.  We get two lovely, crispy slices each.

2 comments: