Friday, October 28, 2011

Preparing for winter


Our squash plant shrivelled up and died on us this week!  I knew, when it first sprouted, that it would be too late for any harvest.  It was growing fantastically though, covered in little yellow flowers and huge flat leaves, its finger-like vines winding themselves around the nearest plants.  It did not like the drop in temperature: we had our first frost on the weekend and though we’ve had some glorious, 21 degree C weather, it was also sitting at 3 degrees C last night.  Facebook tells me there was snow in Boston and Baltimore!

I brought in a huge bucket of green grape tomatoes in time for the frost and they’re ripening on our kitchen bench.  I remembered to collect them late at night by the light of a torch (I felt like the great tomato thief!) and I'm looking forward to making some traditional tomato sauce. I’ve also transplanted a basil plant and a mint plant to pots.  I hope they survive as I think I may have been a bit late in the season to do this.

It's time to find room for the rest of the pots inside the apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment