Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Unruly Recipes


This may seem like a trivial problem to you high achievers out there but I am struggling to work out the best way to store my recipes.  I only have a few cookbooks here (my fav.: Julia Child’s The French Chef), my good ones are mostly at home.  I like to use online recipe engines to find what to cook.  It’s nice to punch in an ingredient and come out with a bunch of different ideas.  The problem is that afterwards, I often think I’ll remember where I got the recipe or the words I used to search it and don’t bother making a note of it.  More often than not I forget.  Or even worse, I forget I ever made it! 

When I remember to, I store the web addy on our gmail account.  I have any number of cooking folders squirreled away on the two computers and in our email address.  Then there’re the ones I’ve written onto recipe cards, and into my spiral notebook.  Consolidation must be the key.  What a perfect rainy day activity (sarcastic snigger).  Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I have one of those A - Z contacts books you can get at stationary stores. I then write al my recipes (well, this is the part I fall down in, updating it...) under the main ingredient/s. For example under C I have Chicken, then all the recipes I cook with chicken in them and where I can find the recipe (which magazine, page number, website, google folder etc). This is really good if you have chicken in the house and no idea what you can be bothering doing with it. Some recipes are repeated under different ingredients (i.e. a meat pasta dish might be found under M for mince and P for pasta). The good thing about it is that you don't actually have to move the recipe or copy it down multiple times, it's just a way of knowing where they all are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely idea, Libby! It will take me some time to get it together but I'm excited to try.

    ReplyDelete