Thursday, October 6, 2011

Assessing Life


I have been reading about assessment for my paper.  What a brain drain.  Today was formative assessment, or assessment which directly informs learning (50 pages? It’s taken 3 hours to read just 25).  It has got me thinking about what I do in my own life and whether it improves, stays the same or gets worse.   I think of practicing something as exercising muscles in my brain and their subsequent flexibility.  I do a lot of things but I feel as though unless I have some way of formatively assessing them, they’ll only improve at a very limited pace.  

Crocheting and knitting would improve at a greater rate, had I a buddy with at least slightly better skills than me to work with.  I am often motivated to do the work by seeing what I can make.  It makes me happy because I have achieved something.  The physical feeling of the task is also quite soothing.  I am also motivated by crochet deadlines, the most likely ones being Christmas and birthdays. Despite this, I don't feel as though I am improving much because I don't challenge myself to harder stitches or patterns.

I wonder if you have some things in your life that you’re working on improving, and what they are.  I believe that a goal will be more easily achieved if you have thought about what that goal is.

No comments:

Post a Comment