Saturday, October 29, 2011

The wonders of baking soda

I have known of the cleaning properties of baking soda since I was a young girl and my mother suggested it to remove tea stains from a tea cup when I was on dishes (I remember the kitchen and the moment quite vividly).  Recently, a friend mentioned that it’s all she uses to clean.  I had been using a vinegar cleaning solution from the supermarket which I wasn’t all together satisfied with.  Everything needed a lot of scrubbing and some marks just didn’t come off.  Our second-hand microwave always had an appearance of grime.

I was having issues with one of Jbird's shirts.  It's a black one and he needs it all the time in his line of work.  As with much needed shirts, it had a certain smell that wouldn't seem to go away.  I had tried soaking it but it didn't seem to help.  Because I didn’t want to spend money on a stain remover and I knew this shirt had years of use left in it, I looked up natural solutions to removing stains.  Low and behold, a baking soda paste was recommended and it worked wonders.  When I used the left-over paste to clean the floor, I realised there would be no turning back.  Our microwave is now spotless.  Most of the spots on the hand-me-down kettle have come off.  My cloth tan handbag has been revamped.  With cloth, I tend to make up a paste and rub it into the troublesome spot, leave it for a couple hours then put it through a normal wash.  I'm not sure if the leaving it part is important or not but it's working!  You may find a salty residue is left behind on kitchen/bathroom surfaces but it’s easy enough to wipe away next time you get a chance.

It’s an old old remedy I’m happy to reproduce in our little house.  I wonder if you’ve discovered any similar remedies in your life? (If you do a google search, you'll find at least 100 uses for baking soda).

1 comment:

  1. When I discovered I had to clean some showers of particular clients I changed their practise of buying expensive strong smelling harmful (to the cleaner)bathroom cleaners to a basic white vinegar and baking soda mixture and a little plastic wool scourer which works absolute wonders!! No srubbing involved - it just disolves any grime miraculously! I use that in our own bathrooms as well and feel much healthier for it! Beware not to use the scourer on chrome though, for glass or shower walls it fantastic!

    ReplyDelete