Friday, October 14, 2011

Cafe Bird

I drink coffee every day, twice a day.  Jbird doesn't - I cannot convince him to -  but he will have a cup of tea with me.  There’s something about the process of making and drinking that reminds me of companionship, even when drinking alone.  When I’m not working full time, I get the shakes after the second cup (and sometimes even the first).  So at the moment I only have one caffeinated coffee a day.  Espresso or plunger coffee (French press) are tied in preference.  I only drink coffee machine coffee if I'm desperate <ew>.  Plunger gives such a full, rich, thick flavour and the oils from the beans are an added treat.  Espresso - generally a cappuccino - is like a dessert.  We have an espresso maker but no plunger (unfortunately).  We got it for a steal AND its steamer works a treat.  Libby used to work in a cafe and she once told me (6 or 7 years ago) "never wank the milk".  I always always think about that, just 'cos it's funny.  My milk is getting better and I'm even starting to try some designs.

I find that if I make a really good coffee at home, I no longer crave one when we’re near a cafe – I’m saving a bundle! 

3 comments:

  1. and I thought wanking the milk was an Annabel-ism ;) we still think of you whenever we think of that saying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guess what Craig got for his birthday, I can't wait for you to come and stay and share some of the lovely coffee with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! I can't wait for YOU to come HERE and enjoy some yummy coffee with me! and you should try my pesto and focaccia at the moment. It is divine. Miss you.

    Joy: it is really bizarre yet makes sense! You don't want to go forming too many bubbles. I wonder if you're missing your espresso machine?

    ReplyDelete