Thursday, October 13, 2011

One Tomato, Two Tomato

A kind benefactor/ess who was probably the previous tenant in this apartment, grew a grape tomato plant (or perhaps merely dropped a tomato) along the south facing wall of our apartment.  It gets sun all day on sunny days and is producing a large quantity of itty bitty grape tomatoes.  There are so many of them ripening that Jbird and I can barely keep up.  So today I made this: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Roasted-Tomato-Soup-Recipezaar_8.  It's a pretty standard recipe, I know, but it was made with my own homegrown tomatoes so I was really excited about it.  I was hungry (and too lazy to cut 40 tiny little tomatoes) so instead of roasting them, I cooked them slowly in a big pot, popping them against the side as they got hot and ready to burst.  

More often, we have been enjoying the tomatoes in a tomato/cucumber salad seasoned with the obvious: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil and salt and pepper.  Having an outdoors has improved my basil maintaining/growing abilities.  It’s so great with anything tomato-ee and with lots of other things too.

No comments:

Post a Comment