Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What's a Hoosier?


We were given tickets to the Hoosiers’ basketball game on the weekend.  We’d done our research by watching the movie “Hoosiers” a couple months ago.  The game was a fun cultural experience, super super American.  I saw my first live slam dunk!  There was a brass band, cheerleaders and flags.  Bigger flags than I’ve ever seen in my life.  I’m not going to lie, the cheerleaders were a hit for me.  They wear big white bows in their hair and they’re soooo peppy!  Jump, jump, jump, arm pump. Back flip. Thrown in the air... Unfortunately, I missed getting the pyramid on camera by about a second.  Bah to that. 

It was a home game for the Hoosiers so they had home audience advantage.  By that, I mean the entire audience was decked out in red and white.  The women in the vicinity to me had had red manicures that day.  It was intense. 

I know I’m meant to be on the Hoosier’s side but I couldn’t help feeling sad for Chattanooga.  They played an okay game but the audience was pretty mean anytime they did anything ANYTHING decent.  It was quite lopsided.  I don’t think I’ve ever been to a game where the cheering was solely for only one of the teams.  It must be super demoralising.  Ah well, go Hoosiers!? 

What's a Hoosier?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosier

2 comments:

  1. I know the basketballers can be on scholarship but I wonder if you can get a scholarship for cheerleading or being in the brass band? Because it sounds like they deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered that same thing! They might get paid an hourly rate...

    ReplyDelete