Friday, November 18, 2011

Making something out of rags


Rag rugs are a really satisfying, quite simple gift to crochet.  Making the rags takes a bit of time and it can be quite messy - I end up with a layer of rag fluff all over my clothes and the floor.  I prefer to make circle rugs, although I have found the hardest part at the start when I'm counting the first few stitch increase increments.  It's hard to see the definition between stitches with all the jaggedy edges getting in the way.  Doing this step properly makes a big difference for a really tidy looking rug, unless you’re going for the lopsided effect. 

They are one of the few items I make that I always like at the end.  They seem plush, and it's satisfying to see how the width of the rags I've made and the imagined design turns out in the finished product.  I've made a couple with some sheets my parents have had since they were newly-weds.  Those sheets are really familiar to my family but they had become thin and were tearing easily from over-use.  It's nice to have found a new purpose for them. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Annabel!

    Great to find your blog. :) It's been so fun getting to know you. Have a wonderful trip home. :)

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie
    I'm glad you found it. Great reading yours too. Happy thanksgiving (people say that, right!?) :0
    Annabel

    ReplyDelete