Thursday, November 10, 2011

I've been doing some thinking

I want to write a bit more about that one plant I mentioned in an earlier post (click here to read it).  

It nearly died living indoors for two years and since we moved here, I've been growing it outdoors where it is thriving and multiplying.  I’ve let one of its cuttings grow inside, and they could be completely different plants, they look so distinct from one another.  The ones outdoors are strong, leaves growing upwards, thick and hardy.  The colour is denser, redder and, well, stronger – if a colour can be stronger. Its stems are sturdy. The one indoors trails down over the edges of its pot.  It has developed fine, delicate and pretty features.  But it snaps when barely touched.  

It’s the same for all indoor plants, they don’t have any elements to fight (apart from supremely dry air) so they just don’t grow strong - they don't need to.  I now realise its why the herbs I tried growing indoors last year couldn’t stand up to anything and never got bigger than an inch – every time they were knocked slightly, they would die. 

I think this is a good analogy for life.  Which would you rather be – a breakable, delicate, indoor plant, or a strong, yet weathered, outdoor plant? 

4 comments:

  1. ohhhh, this is a tough one because I imagine most people want to be a strong person, able to weather what life throws at them...but not many people, well not me, want life to actually throw anything too difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly! Me neither. But then, I think I want life to be too perfect and easy, and energy to be limitless. There are many layers to this thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really that shallow or dense your comment made perfect sense when I went back and finished reading it, its just that if I'm doing something on the computer and somebody is attempting to skype me, whatever I'm doing gets instantly abandoned and I go for the skype.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, distractions can be distracting! I knew you would get it if you weren't distracted.

    ReplyDelete