Monday, November 21, 2011

Preparing for travel

Travelling internationally used to be a delight for me.  I loved to choose the movies, eat the little meals and not be where I was leaving, or arriving, but just be.   

I’m a little more travel weary these days.  Jbird once described it as familiarity with the bad parts of flying; sleep deprivation, waiting at airports for countless hours, lost luggage, armrest wrestling with strangers.  On our last trip home, we flew FOUR international flights with my maiden name on my ticket and my married name on my passport, it was so stressful.  Soph once lost her passport at LAX, what a nightmare!   

Do you know what I hate the most, something that can never be avoided?  Living in recycled air for two days and the dehydration that ensues!  My skin peels for days afterwards.  My eyes ache.  My mouth or nose – depending on which I chose to breathe through while asleep – feel dry and uncomfortable.  

With all the liquid carrying restrictions on planes, this is hard to remedy but I have started making my plans for this trip.  I will carry a bottle, refilling it inside each airport and sip, sip, sip – I have found this even helps the dry eyes/nose/mouth syndrome, so long as you remember to do it.  I will carry little bottles of moisturiser, Vaseline and olive oil to protect my poor skin.  

Is there anything you do to make flying more comfortable?  I’d love your ideas!

2 comments:

  1. When you're trying to sleep (or even just to zone out) put the wussy airline blanket over your head. It makes a kind of tent that keeps the moisture from your breathing inside, or at the very least it means that the recycled air you're breathing is your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, plus it will block some of the action out! That's a great tip. See you soon. xx

    ReplyDelete