Sunday, November 13, 2011

Community Bike Project

Jbird has gotten into the habit of bringing home abandoned bikes.  They will have something small wrong with them - a broken peddle or their handle bars have come loose.  In this student town, the owner will dump it, believing it to be irreparable - or unsure how to fix it.  Ten dollars for a new peddle from any of the convenient bike stores but instead they're bike-less!

We finally made the trip downtown to the community bike project, to fix the broken bits.   It’s kind of hard for us to get there – it’s only open a few hours a week and it meant biking one bike and wheeling another alongside.  Not an easy feat.  Down there, they have tools and spare used parts we could use for free.  It’s a fun place to be, everybody helps each other.  Two pedals swapped out, a kick stand replaced and we have five working bikes!  We donated one of our old cruisers too, I’m sad to see her go. 

This makes me think of a book: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.  The narrator knows a couple that refuse to get to the nitty gritty of their own motorcycle, instead they just send it into the shop.  This pervades into their lives, they live with a dripping tap for years and years.  The author goes deeper than I’m going to but I do want to say that I’m a little bit like that, I put up with annoying stuff.  I used to think this showed patience, but now I’m veering toward the apathetic side.  Jbird, on the other hand, remains annoyed and then he fixes stuff.  He’s starting to influence me that way and I like it.

5 comments:

  1. Ohh I really like this thought! Sometimes though it is a matter of time....this brings me to another thought the practice of slow living - much like the lovely practice of slow cooking! Which should result in more time due to more meaningful reactions to life(not so much time wasted watching TV) , although as a mum I find this really hard because of all the voices around me and the busy schedule helps make sure of flow and that things get done. Food for thought if you understand what I am trying to say. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. When I have nothing on, NOTHING gets done. So in a ways we need to keep life moving. LESS THAN TWO WEEKS BEFORE I LEAVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) check me out: I came, I read, I'm commenting!
    2) even freakier: I'm doing it from my mobile!
    3) I've never read that book; do you think I should?
    4) I've decided, in my infinite sagacity relating to marriage, that one of the coolest things is when you observe in your partner something that's so opposite to the way you would do it that you can hardly stand it at first, but then you eventually realise that he might be right after all, and thereby you are enriched!
    5) WHEN do you come home?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The real question is: WHEN am I due home?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, that was tongue and cheek.
    1) only 53 posts late. It's going to take some time to catch up.
    2) that's very cool. I am impressed.
    3) Yes. It's a fantastic read, in so many ways.
    4) Yes, this is true. I still think he oculd be a tiny bit more patient.
    5) 12 sleeps till I leave! and I will be a fat as a horse: it's thanksgiving the day before.

    ReplyDelete