Sunday, November 6, 2011

It's raining leaves

It seems like the oak trees on our property are the last to lose their leaves in Bloomington but they finally started falling this week.  Before anyone could tidy them up, I took advantage of a nice afternoon and collected a few bags.  I will scatter some seeds in my flower patch and place a layer of leaves over the top when the weather gets more consistently cool.  I read that the seeds should then remain naturally dormant through the winter, protected by the leaves on top.  I’m only doing it with a few flower seeds because I don’t want my vegetable seedlings destroyed by a late spring frost.  I’ll plant those in little pots and replant them when the weather is sure to be warm enough.  The leaves will be perfect plant food when they’re all broken down but I know a lot of leaves turns to almost nothing so I will be out there again soon, collecting more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment