Wednesday, November 2, 2011

An adult student


I’m not a huge fan of teaching adult violin students.  They miss lessons, don’t practice, often don’t like being told what would help them, and inevitably give up.  They also always start with huge intentions and I just look at them and judge them right out: oh man, my experience tells me you’re never going to get there!  There’s a huge difference between what an adult can soak up subconsciously and what a child can soak up.  The flexibility of their brains are reflected in the suppleness of their fingers and limbs.  But the money is good so I never say no. 

That being said, I have been taking piano ‘lessons’ from Jbird and I don’t want to give up!  It’s been 13 years since I had lessons so I’ve gone a far ways backwards.  He doesn’t give me real lessons, I use my own expertise to know how to practice and sometimes ask him what I should do next.  I'm struggling through, taking baby steps.  

Remember my post about needing time to be creative?  I’ve got the time right now but I hope when life gets busier, I am motivated to carry on. Or that life doesn't get any busier.

2 comments:

  1. You're right about the tension in older players - Ken ended up with a swollen lip trying to learn the violin as an adult, also at 16 when he bought his first piano - he usually ended up taking a day off work just before the lesson to do the practise needed until he finally gave it up! Also when I tried to learn the piano as an adult while teaching the kids the only spare time I had was at 9.00pm at night while I was falling asleep, I think I finished book three then gave it away, this is one thing you won't have to worry about yet - so enjoy!! About the tension thing that was the main reason we changed to Rae with Justin and Sophie so make sure Justin passes that technique on to you as it is a huge difference in the quality of sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Anna! I am desperate to get better at the instruments I started but never got good at and I felt I was old when I started at 10! Maybe the trick is staying with the one instrument but I am starting to understand that the teacher has a very important role - with out even telling someone they can pick up if you are as a teacher inspiring them. I see this more while I watch little Maddie learn the Violin. If only she had concentration as well!! - I don't know how Sue and Ken did it, I an sure JBird knows how amazing they are I hope he remembers to say it out loud!!

    ReplyDelete