Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Icing on the Cake

I visited two lovely friends yesterday.    I had energy and time so the visits were comfortable.  Today, I'm squeezing in three, as well as a haircut - call me crazy.  

I woke up with time to do some baking for today's friends this morning so I thought I'd throw together some chocolate cupcakes, using a cake recipe I found in one of mum's books.  I made sure all the ingredients were available before I started.  This search wasn't quite thorough enough as I got them in the oven and went to make the icing, only to find there was no icing sugar in the cupboard.  How very annoying - this happens to me far more often than I would like.  A quick search online told me it would be fine if I whipped butter and plain sugar together.  Unfortunately, in order to get a smooth texture, you have to whip and whip and whip and whip or it's going to be grainy.  With a hand held beater, this can be particularly annoying.   

With all my visiting, I feel the urge to relate this to our friends, husbands, and anyone we desire to be close to.  Friendship (and all relationships) can't be instantaneous.  We have to throw together a lot of ingredients and bake them.  I'm inclined to think that in these relationships, we try to add plain sugar and they take a lot more whipping than we're willing to give.  

The cupcakes were a hit - I substituted out the milk, putting in berry yoghurt instead.  I also had real chocolate in the icing (which was a little grainy).  Though it had almost melted by the time I got to the last house, the cupcakes were really soft and yummy.

4 comments:

  1. ohhhh, these sound yum! I was half way through making muffins this morning when I realised I had no eggs. This also happens more often then I would like. Mostly because I don't do your ingredient search first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am very bad at the ingredient search BUT I was in my mother's kitchen and had no idea what she had and I knew I was tired and didn't want to go out for ingredients so I was trying to be extra careful.

    I think I will also substitute cake for an actual cupcake recipe as it worked soooo well. So light and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If everyone always did ingredient searches.. we'd never be forced to replace, and we'd never know what yogurt tastes like in muffins, or chocolate in the icing. Btw, heres a question.. whats the difference between a cupcake and a muffin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. muffins are often fruity, often with an ingredient that's not mixed in: chocolate chips, blueberries..., they don't often have icing. I think they're denser, too. Cupcakes are fluffy and light, don't have anything in them but with icing on top. People tend to go for frosting, I think. But then rules are made to be broken!

    ReplyDelete