Monday, November 28, 2011

The raisins didn't get a good soaking

As mentioned in an earlier post (click here to read it), I baked two smallish rum-soaked fruit Christmas cakes ten weeks prior to Christmas.  I thought about bringing the second one to NZ as a pressie for my mum.  It's the kind of thing that's appreciated in NZ while Americans (and I) don't really go for fruit in cake.  I didn't bring it in the end, for a few reasons: I ran out of room in my luggage, I wasn't sure how to transport it safely, lacking a decent tupperware container, and I wondered if home baking would be allowed through customs.  I guess I figured if it was homebaked, they'd want to know what was in it.  Those NZ customs peeps can be tricky at times.  I was once nearly fined $200 for some dirty boots in my luggage - they were worried about mad cow disease in those days.  Turns out any food's allowed in, unless there's honey or meat involved.

So this morning I whipped another one up.  It won't have ten weeks to age and the raisins weren't rum-soaked - though there's some port in the cake itself.  The recipe I used called for 1.2kg/2.6lb of dried fruit, six eggs and not much else!   I wonder how it will turn out.

4 comments:

  1. I've started bidding for Tupperware on TradeMe. I'm not sure whether this is exciting or terrifying. And I don't much like fruit cake, but I mostly like fruit based cakes (eg apple/pear, lemon, stonefruit, berryfruit) but not banana cake so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so you used totally unsoaked raisins?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, fruit in cake is a loveable thing. Dense, dried fruit filled cake not quite so.

    ReplyDelete