Friday, November 25, 2011

Variations on a Turkey

Our first thanksgiving in the States together, Jbird and I flew to Texas for a Thanksgiving extravaganza.  I won't go into too many details, it was a memorable trip in too many ways, except that the turkey was deep fried.  I over-ate and nearly went into a food coma.  There was no way to avoid it, the food was too good and very plentiful.

Yesterday we enjoyed thanksgiving at two different houses.  I managed to show a considerable amount of constraint by serving minuscule portions.  It was a good survival method.  Two types of cranberry sauce, gravy, green veges, turkey and pumpkin pie later, as well as many types of wine and coffee in between, and any number of side dishes, and I was doing okay.  I think it was the pecan pie right at the end of the night that kind of sent me over the edge.  I had to have some quiet time inside my head.

The real bonus for us is that we're in somebody's house on one of their biggest holidays of the year.  Traditions are shared that may stem from generation to generation: recipes, family, and locations, all things that that particular family has adopted over time. 

Thanks for sharing, America.

No comments:

Post a Comment