Thursday, November 3, 2011

I'm a Tom Waits kinda gal


You’re either an enthusiast or a hater when it comes to Tom Waits.  Jbird is definitely the later.  It’s hard for me to respect this, and I often insist on a back to back TW album night despite it.  He is so gritty and raw, yet melodious.   I heard an interview with him on NPR (National Public Radio) recently, and it made me love him even more.  He came across as an intelligent thinker, as he spoke about how he and his wife write the songs together, and how his father made him and his siblings speak Spanish at the dinner table.  His respect for his wife is evident and refreshing to hear of a musician I had taken to have some kind black life/history (it’s hard not to if you listen to his lyrics). 

NPR have posted a live gig from 2008 (they had the new album up for a week but you’ve missed it now).  I wonder if it’s your cup o’ tea? I'll try to understand if you're just not into him.

4 comments:

  1. We never got into the later Tom Waits, although Kim Hill always played "The piano has been drinking" on national radio (maybe Justin could learn that one, it needs a real gravelly voice)we're sure he'd love that one. The album we listened to a lot came out in 1973 so Tom must have only been in his early twenties at that time - it's called "Closing Time" and it's hard to believe such a young man could write such mature songs, especially "Martha" a song about an old man who calls up his childhood sweetheart after 50 years or so, and tells her that he's still in love with her after all these years, even though they were both happily married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his younger voice - I'm definitely going to go and listen to closing time now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I' not too sure yet will have to listen a little more I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, I'm pretty sure you'd prefer his younger stuff...he gets a bit...gruesome sounding the older he gets.

    ReplyDelete