Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The common slice

I love making slices for our morning tea. I had decided, after searching online for slices on all the common recipe websites, not finding any, AND never seeing one at a potluck, that Americans do not make slices.  Having come to this conclusion, it followed that I would be limited to my Edmond’s cookbook (a common NZ cookbook) for slice recipes.   Because I have found NZ flour to be different from US flour, requiring different quantities, I basically have to make an educated guess on how much flour to add to the slice and hope it turns out okay.  Sometimes it does.  Just as often it does not.

This week, my brain had a little click (a Vygotsky-an ‘ah ha’ moment) and I realised that when people say “oh, it’s like a bar”, it doesn’t follow that the only bar they know/make is a muesli bar.  That’s just the only bar I know!  American's call it a granola bar.  Somehow, I suddenly knew that if I looked up raspberry bar, a slice recipe would be suggested and low and behold it was!  This may seem like it’s not really worth sharing but it is YEARS of unconscious research for me.  My brain is slower at picking this stuff up than a child’s.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, flour is different you say? Who knew?! What makes it so? I have heard that a 'cup' measurement is different in America which must make things difficult. Good luck with all your bars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather thinks maybe it has more surface area so it's more absorbent? But if I make an NZ bread recipe, I have to almost halve the amount of flour I use or it's too too dry.

    ReplyDelete