Friday, November 4, 2011

It's getting harder to say maths

Click on this link to read a condensed version of what I have been reading, writing, thinking and dreaming about for a Current Issues in Teaching Mathematics course I have been doing through Massey University.  It has had me gripped, too, by the seat of my pants (quite literally, I have tried so hard not to move from this one chair...).  I have written papers on teaching issues, student issues, and am finishing one off on assessment issues.  I have read hundreds of pages of journal articles with some intense ideas for me to process, at times spending more than an hour on ten pages.  Every aspect of my life now relate to issues in teaching mathematics and all I want to do is get into a New Zealand classroom and use what I have learned.  But that's not the purpose of doing the course.  The purpose is to give me something to do while we're here (job well done). 

Now I have six sleeps until the course is over and I'm on 'summer' winter break.  I have a back log of knitting/crocheting to do to keep me busy but I will definitely miss the intellectual stimuli.  

Jbird says I need to tell you the meaning of the title of this post.  Americans say "math", New Zealanders say "maths".  It's getting harder to say "maths", "math" is beginning to make sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment