Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Heart Friend


Trying to relate is really hard, for everyone.  I know this so I try to make it easy for those who don’t know me.  I mimic accents, facial expressions and body language, I try not to butt in too often, and I remember anecdotes so that I can ask that person about them when I next see them.  

I think about all this relating a lot, it keeps me up at night.  A lot of the time I’m thinking “huh, I shouldn’t have said that!” because I am no good at the not-butting-in part.  I let myself spend a lot of energy on my relating skills and then I crash.  My response to this is to hermit.  I creep into my little house, with my coffee, books and knitting, not coming out for anything.

As I consider going home, I know that I will see a lot of people who I think of as heart friends.  People that know me so well we can get talking and wonder where the time has gone?  Days, months, years spent apart becomes irrelevant.  But it won’t be all peaches and cream.  People are already telling me they’re not available.  I won’t be on my best behaviour all the time.

With only two weeks, I promise to try my very best.  To be a relating machine. I'll sleep on the plane.

1 comment: