Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Special Afternoon Tea

I was once so impressed by something my friend Mrs. McLean had either baked or cooked, that I exclaimed: "One day, you're going to cater my wedding!"  I wasn't dating anyone of interest at the time but when it came to the time of my wedding, she reminded me what I had said and offered to stand by my request.  
I was reminded of this when I went searching through our inbox for a corn bread recipe and came across this little gem: 

All righty, here we go, I'm gonna make for you:
Savouries:
* Sushi sandwiches: probably salmon & cucumber; salami & carrot
(don't worry, that's just an easier way of formatting the sushi, not like I make a molenberg sandwich with rice and wasabi)
* Satay pork meatballs with sweet chilli dipping sauce
* ham & pineapple pizza pinwheels
* roast vegetable mini pizzas
* savoury pies / mini quiches: chicken & leek; bacon & egg; corn & capsicum; curried apple and onion
Sweets
* apricot fudge
* mini muffins: mango yoghurt; blueberry & macadamia
and there's these mini pavlovas which are really cool-looking but which I acknowledge are really too fiddly but they look so cool that I haven't quite managed to convince myself yet to cross them off the list. So I might make them or I might not.

And that, plus a few other bits and pieces, (including mum's homemade strawberry punch, and dukkah and oil bread dip), was the afternoon tea directly after our ceremony.

Unfortunately, I was so busy - cutting the cake, taking photos, listening to the drums, smiling, and greeting greeting greeting - that I didn't get a single bite!  It was very good, from all accounts.

What a special thing, to have a friend like that.

7 comments:

  1. Aw shucks! If you wanted to check I was still reading your blog, you could just ask! (I'm not complaining, I'm just *wow*)

    Still, whenever I make any of those recipes now, I always want to save a morsel for you & JBird, so you'll know what it tastes like! (except the sandwich sushi, it didn't really work, don't think I'll try that again)

    (Also, now I want dukkah!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, according to my handy new word checker app, it can be spelt dukka, dukkah, or dukkha.

    And, finally about 3 months ago I achieved success with those darned mini pavlovas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anderina, I was merely writing about something that makes me happy. Did you end up making those pavs for our wedding? Seems like a lot of fiddly work, when you're putting on a big meal. One day, we'll both have big kitchens and bake until we're so fat, we can't fit out the door.

    Did you think I wouldn't check the spelling for dukkah? I was in a hurry so I didn't choose one, just used the first I saw.

    (Also, now I want dukkah too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't make pavs for your wedding. It was about that season of my life when I was finally learning to embrace my limitations, confident that I would still be loved anyway (see? It worked!)

    My default spelling was dukkha, I wondered whether yours would be allowed in Scrabble or if it was perhaps a genuine Indian or Bangla spelling. I certainly didn't for a moment mean to suggest you might have spelled it wrong!

    All recipes, in fact all writing, and by extension all friendships,exist for me to extend my Scrabble vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh, yes, Scrabble would explain the checked spelling. I'm glad we got to the bottom of the pavs but I'm sure I'll ask again in a couple years. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can tell your food blogging is going to be dangerous to me... YUM

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the plan, lovely lady, that is the plan!

    ReplyDelete