Saturday, February 18, 2012

Alphabetical Know-how

I mentioned last week that I planning to start reading for one of my classes a bit earlier than the university calendars dictate.  Well, I did.  The first few chapters were pretty heavy going.  Full of big, hard to understand vocabulary, grammar, and ideas.  I thought I might drown.  But I've been enjoying it more as my head has repositioned itself into the subject matter: children with emotional and behavioural disorders.  

The reading I did yesterday was all about preventative measures in early childhood/pre-school, from age about three, when the disorder would first start to become obvious.  In her commentary, my lecturer mentioned that behavioural disorders are more likely to happen in children that don't have letter recognition (i.e.: don't really know their alphabet and can't recognise different letters).  NOT because they're not smart, but because of the amount of talking and communicating that happens at home - or is not happening.  She also mentioned that socio-economic status isn't necessarily directly linked to behavioural disorders.   Rather, it's the amount of stress that is occurring at the child's home, and how it's dealt with.  As we all know, stress can happen in any/every household.

I thought it was a well written, super interesting article, and I'm excited to start the essay for this paper.

As a side note, my comment "essay for this paper" directly translated into Americanese is: "paper for this class".  That one always makes for an interestingly confused conversation.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, that sounds interesting. Is it anywhere on the internet where non-schoolies like me can read??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, it doesn't look like it's online, not even through the Massey website which I would've pdf-ed for you, had it been! I'll email my search specifics, maybe you'll have better luck at finding it.

    ReplyDelete