Thursday, February 23, 2012

I heart Mary Tyler Moore

I have been watching both of Mary Tyler Moore's two big t.v. sitcoms.  

In The Dick Van Dyke Show she plays a fresh faced, loveable, perfect little wifey for Mr. Van Dyke. I often feel jealous of their t.v. relationship.  Dinner is always ready when he arrives home, she doesn't often mind when the unexpected occurs, she helps him through his every strife.  They sleep in separate single (twin) beds - I think that might be my favourite part, it's so antiquated.  That and her slippers with 4cm heels.  He's his usual crazy self too.  Think Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on a daily basis.  Sometimes they sing, dance, or do comedic stints.  I find their five year old a bit annoying but I guess he couldn't just be written out of a family comedy.

Then there's The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  She's ten years older, ten years wiser. There's no singing and dancing but she's a fabulous single women, with a bachelorette pad ladies across the country all desired, and many brightly coloured, exciting outfits. This show is a little more cutting edge.  She has a fabulous career, lots of fabulous friends, often stays out late - though we're never quite sure what she was doing all night - and leads a fabulous life. 

I sometimes find myself missing Mr. Van Dyke on her solo show, but then again, she is able to shine so much brighter without him over-shadowing her.   I'm sold out on which show I prefer.  Equal brilliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment