Monday, February 20, 2012

The Pastry Chef

I was searching for a good home-made chicken pot pie pastry when I fell upon this little marvel.  It possesses the elements of croissant folding that I'm so enraptured with, producing a delightful soft and flaky pastry.  I give the butter a good beating with the rolling pin to help it become more malleable, as Julia Child taught me.  

New Zealanders: try the process, but use a NZ recipe for your quantities.  I suggest Annabel Langbein's though I don't know that it's any better than any other.  It's merely flour, butter, salt, and chilled water, after all.  She adds a little baking powder too.

I have tried to lessen the butter quantity but Jbird and I are sure to suffer from heart problems later in life.  Roll on summer, and a desire for fresh, raw vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment