Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Yum Yum Scrum - Cinnamon Rolls for Breakie!

When we first moved to the States, we stopped at Chicago airport on our way to Baltimore.  It's a pretty nice airport, with plenty of food options - not that I endorse buying food at airports.  It was there that Jbird first introduced me to the heavenly delights of CinnabonI am such a sucker for bread.  I love baking it, but that only stems from my love for eating it.  I've especially enjoyed baking it this winter while I had a lot of time and it was too cold out to get in the garden.

In our first apartment (the worst apartment in the world), we had cable t.v.  I quickly became addicted to the Food Network.  It was there that I learned how to bake cinnabon style sticky buns.  Alton Brown, my favourite scientist style culinarian, has a great recipe for overnight sticky buns.  You can view the episode online here and then here*.  They are prepared the night before and just need to be popped in the oven for fresh buns for breakfast.

For a while, Jbird and I were positively addicted to Pecan Cranberry Sticky Buns, but at about 1300 calories per serving they just weren't practical.  I would always want two servings, my entire calorie intake for the day!  Now I make a slightly plainer style with a simple butter, brown sugar, and raisin filling.  We had them this morning.  Needless to say, half the batch was gobbled before lunch time.

NB: I'm not a calorie counter! I guessed all figures, including how many I should have per day. *Check out his "circle of love" at the end of the episode, I'm trying that next.

No comments:

Post a Comment