Sunday, February 26, 2012

Spreading the Weeds

As a young tyke, I was often commissioned to work with my Aunty Mary in her garden.  Mum told me I was giving her company, but I was in it for the money, baby!  She's a pretty inspirational lady, often looking after us young 'uns.  As a former teacher, and a Christian, we have a lot in common.  Plus she's a generous lovely lady.  I love my Aunty Mary but she's not doing so well these days.

One day in the garden, I remember coming across oxellious with her. I don't know how to spell this, I can't find it on the interweb,  (Jbird for internet), but it's a hideous weed that will overtake your garden.  When you try to dig it out, if you happen to hit its bulb, it will fall apart into a million bulbs.  I'm talking a million, worse than you can imagine.  Leaving you to spend an age on that one tiny plant, trying to get all those little little bulbs out of the soil because they're sure to grow and multiply.  It took me a while to get the hang of this.   Stop pulling at them and dig deeper, Annabel, or you'll hit the bulb, it will separate and spread!  I AM, Aunty Mary, I am!  I remember specifically that I wasn't, because I'd already forgotten, or I was just trying to pull up the weed from its top, the bit that I could see.  She trusted me but I spread the weeds, I did!  

That's just a memory that I had this afternoon, as I was digging.  In my garden I have a similar plant, only the tiny bulbs aren't as tiny and I think I've been able to get most of them.  Spring isn't here but a teensy warm weather is, helping those weeds to grow - and the start of our spring bulbs. (!)  I've pulled another bagful of the things and maybe that's them, all gone? 

Here lieth an excellent analogy for sin which I'll let your own mind wander over, should you happen to believe in the existence of sin.

2 comments: