Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Reading Stone

I'm a month ahead of my book club's read because they're reading Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society for February AND I was borrowing one of the member's copies the March book while she read February's book.  I've just finished it and it was really, really, really good.  Interested?  Keen to know the book?

It's called Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verchese.

The author is from the medical world and the book is based around a family of doctors.  Five doctors and a couple nurses thrown for good measure.  I normally hate gore, it makes me feel faint to read about it, or see it on telly, or talk about it, but Mr. Verchese managed to have me lost in the story.  Before I knew it, I'd been through an operation and come out the other end.  Smiling.  Or crying.  Depending on the described scenario.

The family are all foreigners, of sorts, or expats, which was probably the part I could relate to the most (and helped me get through all the blood and guts).  They're from India originally so I learn about that great place that I love visiting.  They live in Ethiopia, where I've never been. One of the sons moves to America for a spell, and his expats views of these fair shores are shared.  

I could go on about it, I feel as though I have been living it for the passed few days, but I'll save my comments for our meeting next week  and merely recommend this great read to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment