Saturday, February 11, 2012

NZ Media

Every Saturday my friend brings her troop of boys for piano lessons.  Only two of them are learning so we play with the three that aren't in the background.  Actually, we drink tea, chat, and knit.  And try to keep the boys a little bit quiet while Jbird teaches. 

This morning, we got onto the subject of NZ movies (didn't even mention LOTR).  I was telling her that we were going to see Boy tomorrow, as IU's showing it, one time only, on the big screen!  We are very excited about this opportunity.  It screened in NZ our first year here in the States and we watched it on the plane on our way home that 'summer' (NZ winter).  On a tiny screen on the back of the seat in front, sipping a Villa Maria sav. blanc. The drone of the plane's engines ringing in our very souls.

I recommended she watch The Piano and Whale Rider.  She had seen Once Were Warriors, and been horrified by it, as was I, though I know it speaks of the truth.  

NZ is a tiny little world and I happen to know the editor for Whale Rider, David Coulson, because I went to school and have remained friends with his daughter.  I'd wanted to recommend an American movie he'd edited but I had to look up it's name, North Country.  During that search, I was reminded that he also worked on Vintner's Luck - which I am yet to see.

Much to my delight, during my search, I discovered a website where I found a whole bunch of New Zealand stuff that will play for me over here.  TVNZ on demand does NOT play internationally, which is a huge sore point for me, but NZ on screen does!  I was able to watch an entire short film that Mr. Coulson worked on, Manurewa, which made me cry. 

Now I'm giddy, lost in NZ media bliss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment