Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Love Story

While lost in the mind wobblying vast library of NZ On Screen, I came across this little treasure...Buffalo by the Phoenix Foundation.  I love every song I've ever heard by this band and the memories of our relationship abound.   

One of my strongest musical guides, Mr. Coulson's daughter, sent me their two first albums while I was living in Bangladesh.  They're a Wellington band and she was living the urban life in Wellington.  I assume she saw them around town often.  She left me love struck, wanting more.  

I finally got to see them play live in NZ when Jbird and I were newly dating.  Jbird was late to the concert because he was being paid top dollar to play piano at a fancy restaurant.  While I waited for him, I met an unusual cat-loving couple who'd met on the internet.  She had a fabulous name, Zelga, and was from the Netherlands, having moved to NZ for her love.  The next time we saw her, at another gig, she'd broken up with that love, dyed her hair bright tomato red, and could be heard playing ukulele originals on bFM as a guest on one of the early evening Drive shows.   Jbird wore his Pirates of the Caribbean t-shirt, leaving me wondering how much I really knew him.

The next time I saw the Phoenix Foundation live was at the Rhythm and Vines music festival.  He had free entry because he was playing in a string quartet with some of our buddies for one of the acts, Jonny Love.  I am Jbird's number one fan but I was secretly there for the Phoenix Foundation.  I rocked out to them while Jbird played ultimate frisbee under a gorgeous NZ sun.  Jbird and I were engaged - I'd grown to love the t-shirt, and the boy.

A little while later, Jbird and I got married.  The string quartet played at our wedding (sans Jbird).  My love for the Phoenix Foundation remains one-sided.

5 comments:

  1. I think you are on to something here writing about music - you can write from so many different angels and it makes me want to know more about what you talk about. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is Mr Coulsens daughter - she is someone you should name her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, there are so so many links in this post, it's a bit OTT. If you click on her link, it will take you to the post about David Coulson, she is his daughter. I try not to straight out name people here, like I always call Jbird by his nickname, and Soph by her shortened name. So she's a friend from high school.

    I can't always always write about music, I don't have enough inspiration, but my friend can (link over to "Ear Snax" from the blogs I follow). Thanks for your input, I'm sure to think about it some more and come up with better solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha I like this post!! And the music video is soooo great! And the little love story is so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. It's about as pop-musicy as I get.

    ReplyDelete